Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Healthy? You betcha!


I missed a day of work yesterday due to this nasty cold that I'm trying to shake. I can't help but wonder how much healthier I might have been had I remained in Minnesota instead of moving back to Indiana 4 years ago.

Minnesota has been named the healthiest state for the fourth consecutive year by the United Health Foundation. Not too shabby, considering that this is the land that popularized fried cheese curds.

Indiana is 33rd this year. Not so good, considering it dropped from 32nd place last year. New York is 29th this year, having dropped from 26th place last year.

We'll see if Mayor Michael Bloomberg's attempts to save NYC despite itself will do any good next year. In his first term, he banned smoking from bars and restaurants. Today the Board of Health voted to make New York the nation's first city to ban artery-clogging artificial trans fats at restaurants. Sure, all the libertarians are crying foul now, but we'll see who's laughing when the New York raises itself up to be the 25th most healthy state.

In the meantime, I can dream about returning to the Land of 10,000 Lakes where the government looks out for the health of its consituents. I can already taste the cheese curds.

No comments: