Sunday, January 14, 2007

The American War Against Science

I really wish I could blame the Bush Administration for this country's war against science. I would like to believe that the president is solely responsible for sending our country back to the Dark Ages. Unfortunately, the cynic in me knows that our country is an enabler for any leader willing to show mule-headed belligerence toward reason, thought, and the scientific process.


How else can you explain that none of the major news sources have picked up on the story mentioned in yesterday's Doonesbury?

According to Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, "Grand Canyon National Park is not permitted to give an official estimate of the geologic age of its principal feature, due to pressure from Bush administration appointees." According to PEER Executive Director Jeff Ruch, "In order to avoid offending religious fundamentalists, our National Park Service is under orders to suspend its belief in geology. It is disconcerting that the official position of a national park as to the geologic age of the Grand Canyon is ‘no comment.’”
Please tell me this is an Onion hoax. Please let me wake up tomorrow to a world actively trying to enter the 21st Century instead to the 18th Century.

If you need me, I'll be hiding under the bed with my copy of Darwin's "The Origin of the Species".

No comments: