Thursday, February 14, 2008

Roy Scheider (1932-2008) o.b.m.

On Sunday, Roy Scheider died at the age of 75 after battling multiple myeloma for several years. Since I have long been a fan of Scheider's work, and I have a very personal interest in multiple myeloma treatment, I took more than a passing interest in his obituaries.

Most of the articles cited his role in Jaws as the police chief with the immortal line, "You're gonna need a bigger boat." Fewer remember his wonderful role as a pill-popping, Bob Fosse-type choreographer in "All That Jazz." To me, "All That Jazz" was his greatest work, partly because of his quotable line, "Showtime!" but mostly because throughout the entire picture, you completely forget that the choreographer NEVER DANCES. Only a true actor can pull off a mind trick like that.

I was a big fan of SeaQuest DSV, at least I was during its first season before it got...well...bad. Scheider lent an air of respectability to the show and raised it from an uninspiring sci-fi knock-off, to a fun, fascinating, scientific, and almost complex show. When the producers started to mess with the quality and format of the show, Scheider had the good sense to leave.

I never saw his stagework, which (from what I have read) was superb. In the 80's, he costarred with Raul Julia and Blythe Danner in one of my favorite plays, Betrayal by Harold Pinter. I really, really, really hope that someone filmed his performance, and that a bootleg copy is floating around eBay somewhere. Julia, Danner, and Scheider on the stage together...it just doesn't get any better than that.

I will miss Scheider's many flawed yet extremely likeable characters. Luckily, NetFlix carries most of his works. So, if you'll excuse me, I've got some movies to add to my queue.

Note: According to his fansite, in lieu of flowers, the family requested memorial donations to the Myeloma Institute of Research and Therapy at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zev, you neglected to mention his portrayal of Dustin Hoffman's older brother in "Marathon Man" and Gene Hackman's partner in "The French Connection"
I was dianosed with Multiple Myeloma in March of 2006 and see the same doctor in Little Rock that Roy Scheider saw. Dr. Bart Barlogie is the man you want to see to achieve the most longevity if you have this incurable disease. Anyway, Roy Scheider was in the waiting room when I was in a patient room about a year ago. I was told that he looked poorly then.

Zev Winicur said...

Anonymous,
My prayers and well wishes go with you. Thank you for mentioning Dr. Barlogie who is the director of Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy. From what I hear, he is the best in the field.

My mother was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 1992, and THANKFULLY, she is still with us today. Her oncologist (not Barlogie) has been instrumental in her longevity. It's amazing to me how much the treatment of the disease has improved over the past decade. She is an avid supporter of the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation, and I recommend anyone interested in the field to visit their Website (www.multiplemyeloma.org).

Also...forgive me for not mentioning Scheider's other great roles. Although I saw both of the movies, they don't stick out in my brain the same way that "Showtime!" does. However, I was remiss in my duties in not mentioning them.